Access roadways are necessary for park maintenance, landfill management and effective agricultural operations. Traditional ways of building roads often take too long and are stressful on natural environments. Articulated concrete blocks offer a viable alternative for roadways, which helps preserve habitat as well. Here is are six ways you will enjoy articulated concrete blocks for creating roadways:
- Add roads quickly: When you discover an area needs an access road, the time you need it is likely now. There is no time to build a road the traditional way, and it will cost money. If you are a city or county operation, that frequently requires a budget adjustment, which could take months. Articulated concrete blocks are easy to install and they cost less than starting a construction effort. You can have an access road quicker than you expected.
- Good traction: Roads can be slippery when it rains, and that is especially true with access roads. They often do not receive the same level of maintenance as public routes, so eventually they wear out quicker and offer more hazards. Articulated concrete blocks offer good traction so you are less likely to slip. They also hold their condition better so your access road remains safe for the long term, even during rain, ice or snow. This material also creates good boat ramps, which gives you an idea of how well tires stick to it.
- Coexists with vegetation: You need an access road, but you may also want to preserve grazing for deer or other herbivores. Articulated concrete blocks coexist with pasture grass rather than smother it like traditional asphalt roads. The traction that keeps your vehicle in place also allows plants to grow between the blocks. This makes it ideal not only for wildlife spaces, but also for cow or horse pastures. You will never have to sacrifice needed pastureland for access roads.
- Easier on vehicles: Four-wheel-drive trucks and ATVs are made for rough terrain but that does not save them from extensive wear and tear. When you constantly drive over dirt and rocks, you need to replace suspension and tires more frequently. You also add to any erosion problems. Adding roads made of articulated concrete blocks gives you a smooth surface for driving that is less stressful on your vehicles. The smoother ride is also an advantage here!
- Road reinforcement: There may be parts where you need a paved road. Articulated concrete blocks can act as reinforcement for these roads so you can spend less time on road repairs and more time managing your park or land. Lay the blocks down first, and then pave over them. Your road will last longer and stand up to the elements better.
- Keep pedestrians safe: People can hike on access roads as easily as you can drive on them. They will move from point to point with a minimum of slips and falls and cause less erosion by staying on the blocks. In fact, if you want natural looking hiking trails, articulated concrete blocks likely work for that application, too.
Build access roadways with articulated concrete blocks and prepare to be impressed! Call International Erosion Control Systems Inc. today to get started.