Riverbanks face many factors that lead to their erosion. Human foot traffic, severe weather patterns and even the frequent use of motorboats can cause banks to break apart, placing ecosystems in danger. A cable concrete mat erosion control system offers additional protection from these elements and keeps habitats viable. Here are five reasons why you should integrate them into your preservation plan.
- Works with present conditions: Water areas present challenges, and for many erosion control techniques, you may have to invest in significant site preparation. This can place the habitat at further risk. Cable concrete mats can be installed over or under water lines and require less site manipulation and preparation. They basically adapt to whatever conditions the riverbank currently faces, meaning you do not have to practically destroy a habitat in order to save it.
- Flexibility: Another adaptive ability of cable concrete mats is how they can be customized to the land. They can take on any shape, meld to different grades and basically integrate with the environment. It is an erosion control system that blends in more than it manipulates. While many protection methods are nothing more than well intentioned intrusion, the installation and presence of this system will hardly be noticed by the natural environment you wish to preserve.
- Durable: Cable concrete mats stand up to different grades of hydraulic pressure, and if the river or lake changes flow, they will remain through that too. There are fewer worries about whether your erosion control plan will falter due to heavy rains or a sudden rise in water levels. These are basically made to stand up to the challenges presented by the natural world. The interlocking structure normally offers enough strength by itself, but for more challenging situations, you may wish to consider clamping for more stability.
- Support plant growth: Vegetation is essential to supporting many animal species, as well as being an element worthy of protection itself. With more knowledge about the role of native plants in habitats, it becomes more essential to support their growth. Cable concrete mats allow for enough water flow and oxygen in the soil to help these plants grow. They also maintain the plants by keeping them from slipping away due to erosion. For some projects, fill soil just below the top of the blocks and reseed. You will have a functional habitat in no time.
- Easy installation: Cable concrete mats just need to be laid out—there is no long plan for installation. There may be some clamping, too, but that is an easy step that is not always necessary. Most of the preparation work involves cutting them down to the right shape and size and placing them where they are needed. Delivery is efficient and available throughout Canada and the U.S.
International Erosion Control Systems, Inc. is a leader in cable concrete mat erosion control systems and can help you design and implement an effective habitat preservation system. To stop erosion and encourage ecosystem development, give us a call so we can get you in touch with one of our distributors.