Controlling shifting earth in areas that are prone to prolific erosion-related complications is no easy task and an initiative that can’t be approach with just any old plan. It takes a thorough understanding of the needs of the area and the right erosion control system to produce results—and while the approach may often vary on a case by case basis, the product being used to corral erosion frequently remains the same: cable concrete mats.
Cable concrete mats are a rare case of universality when it comes to erosion control initiatives for a variety of different reasons. Take a look at a few of these well-respected facets below to see why cable concrete mats are employed all across the country today as functioning erosion control solutions:
- Weatherproof: One of the biggest catalysts for erosion is the weather and its interaction with the earth. From torrid rains that create erosive mudslides to draughts that cause instability in certain natural formations, weather has a tremendous effect on erosion… however not so much of an effect on cable concrete mats. These installations are designed to be completely weatherproof and remain unaffected by even extreme conditions, thereby protecting the area they’re implemented within from shifting conditions. They even resist freeze and thaw cycles, which can cause inferior erosion control systems to fail over time!
- Cost effective: For many civil engineers or erosion control contractors, the name of the game is keeping the cost of an applicable erosion control system as low as possible, while still providing tangible results. Cable concrete mats provide this opportunity, making it easier to implement solutions for a lower, most sustainable cost.
- Seamlessness: One of the biggest arguments against taking any action against erosion zones is the disturbance that can be caused to the natural environment by man-made installations or intervention. Cable concrete mats are far and away one of the most least invasive methods of keeping erosion in check and can keep an ecosystem or environment relatively unchanged during the duration of the application.
- Pedestrian safeness: Many times erosion-prone areas are also areas that are prone to frequent use by people, thus making stability and safeness an even bigger priority. Cable concrete mats are easily traversed by people and represent one of the safest methods of erosion control that can also be utilized in a functional sense as well. Access roads, boat ramps and more can all benefit from a concrete cable system.
- Usability: No matter the terrain, the material or the size of the area being addressed, cable concrete is capable of getting the job done. Because mats can be customized in size and how they’re laid/filled, the versatility of this product puts it head and shoulders above the rest.
There’s no question that cable concrete mats are a superior form of erosion control for a number of reasons. If you’re facing an erosion control situation and need a system that can be easily adapted to your needs, with minimal cost and tremendous impact, it pays to consider cable concrete.